You want to join a program
of Sup de Pub ?
You wish to have more information
on a program?
Internships are the first professional experience for young students. Although many companies offer internships in France, it is also possible to do this exchange abroad. The international internship is a great opportunity for students. We suggest this ultimate guide on how to do an international internship.
Why do an internship abroad?
In your academic career, the international internship in a company is a way to deepen your skills. More students are using this opportunity, as it only represents advantages for them. Among these reasons, we have:
- improving your foreign language skills : an international internship is the best way to develop your language skills. Your stay allows you to experience a total immersion in your learning. By interacting with the local population, you learn to use the vocabulary and expressions better;
- Professional enrichment: Traveling to another country allows you to discover corporate cultures abroad. It offers you the opportunity to understand international leadership. You will learn at a different pace and in a different way;
- added value for your CV: the internship abroad is an asset that helps you stand out once on the job market. It proves your autonomy and your ability to adapt in another environment. This way, the company can have confidence in your skills;
- Networking : your professional and personal meetings abroad constitute your network. These are important resources that can help you grow your business later.
Define your international internship project.
The first step to take for your international internship project is to define the professional sector. As such, we talk about the industry you are interested in depending on your field of study. It can be the industrial field, communication, hotel business, trade or marketing.
Next, you need to identify the types of assignments and fields of activity that you can perform in your internship. These are the professional tasks that the company will give you to do. This allows you to structure your search and refine the area. We advise you to clearly define your internship objective. This is used to specify your destination. Indeed, there are many internship offers abroad, and you need to know how to find the best offer. By being too vague, you may miss a great opportunity.
Once these steps are completed, you will prepare your CV and your eventual interview with the future employer.
Adapting your CV to find an international internship.
To ensure that you find an internship abroad, you must adapt your resume to the country you are interested in. The first step is to translate your CV. The ideal is to write two resumes. The first version must be in the local language of the country and the second in English. If you are applying to a French company abroad, make your CV in French and English. It is important to adapt it to the country’s recruitment techniques.
Depending on your destination, the type of CV may vary. The information requested, the presentation, as well as the length of the CV can be different. In Germany, for example, family situation is an important factor. In the United States, the employer only asks for your contact information. We advise you to find out before writing.
As far as translation is concerned, remember to translate the CV using the right words. Your CV is your first window. It shows your language skills. On the other hand, you should mention the school where you are studying, the reputation of this one is determining. It is better to bet on a sure value like Sup de Pub. Also emphasize your professional skills. This will capture the recruiter’s attention.
Work on your interview
The secret to a successful international internship project is preparation. Your interview can be face-to-face, by phone or by video call. You need to be prepared for all three. You must present a well-rehearsed speech during the exchange. Beforehand, find out about the company. This can be:
- the history of the company’s creation;
- industry sector;
- current and future projects;
- the name of the founder and CEO;
- the key figures of the company.
You can use this informationto convince the recruiter of your interest in the company.
During the interview, it is essential to master your CV. The recruiter may ask you to talk about yourself and your qualities. Therefore, you must be able to sell your skills.
Do your internship abroad with Supdepub.
The communication school Sup de Pub offers different forms of mobility for an international internship. It suggests academic mobility. This means an exchange within the framework of the studies. You can do your 3ᵉ and 4ᵉ year at one of the school’s 45 partner institutions. You can choose between institutes in Europe or in the world. At the end of the academic year, you can stay on site to do your internship or return to France.
There are also internships as part of a professional mobility. In this case, you have the opportunity to apply for international internships from your first year through your 5ᵉ year. The duration of the course is as follows:
- in SP1: the school requires a 2-month internship between June and August;
- in SP2 : you must do 3 months of internship;
- in SP3: it is essential to do 2 internships, the first of which must be in November and December.
In order to facilitate your search for an internship abroad, the Sup de Pub platform regularly proposes offers.
- Take an international course
- Master in International Communication
- International communication
- Working internationally in 2023
- All about international marketing
- International professions